Child Care Credit

by on May 2, 2012 at 3:07 pm

Child or Dependant care

If you work or are looking for work, you may be able to claim the child and dependent care credit.  The credit is generally a percentage of the amount of work-related child and dependent care expenses you paid to a care provider. The percentage depends on your adjusted gross income.

Who Qualifies:

  1. Your filing status is Single, Married Filing Jointly, Head of Household, or Qualifying Widow(er) with a dependent child.
  2. You (and your spouse if Married Filing Jointly) earned income from employment or self-employment.*
  3. You paid someone to provide care for a Qualifying Person, and the care provider was not someone you could claim as a dependent, the parent of your Qualifying Person, your spouse, or your child under the age of 19 (regardless of whether they are a dependent).
  4. You had to pay for child or dependent care so that you (and your spouse if Married Filing Jointly) could work or seek employment.*

*If Married Filing Jointly, one spouse may be exempt from this requirement if they were a full-time student or were physically or mentally incapable of self-care.

A Qualifying Person for the Child and Dependent Care Credit can be one of the following:

  • Any child who is your dependent and was under age 13 when the care was provided
  • Your spouse or dependent age 13 or over, if physically or mentally incapable of caring for themselves
  • Lived with you more than half the year (there are exceptions for death and divorced or separated parents)
in Deduction

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *